10 Delicious Ways to Cook Sweet Potato
This root vegetable is versatile, nutritious, and tastes amazing. You'll want to make these sweet potato recipes right away.
Perfect for fall recipes, sweet potato is a culinary and nutritional gem. This root vegetable can brighten almost any dish, from soups to—gasp—brownies. Yes, please. And nutritionally, it’s a force to be reckoned with: vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and fibre are just some of its standout nutrients.
1. Tossed in salads
Winter Quinoa Salad
• Juice from one lemon
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
• Pepper to taste
• 3 cups (750 mL) cooked quinoa, any colour
• 1 cup (250 mL) cubed cooked sweet potato
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced red onion
• 4 kale leaves, shredded
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted slivered almonds
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
• 3/4 cup (180 mL) cubed feta cheese (optional)
• To make dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and
pepper in small bowl.
• Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl, add
dressing, and toss until well saturated.
To make dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl.
Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl, add dressing, and toss until well saturated.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad
• 2 lbs (1 kg) sweet potato, cut into 1 in (2.5 cm) pieces
• 2 tsp (10 mL) grapeseed oil
• 3/4 cup (180 mL) plain Greek yogurt
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 canned chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, minced
• 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
• Juice of 1/2 lime
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) pumpkin seeds
• 1 1/2 cups (350 mL) cooked or canned black beans, drained
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro
Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Toss sweet potato with oil and spread out on baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 25 minutes, stirring once halfway. Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt, garlic, chipotle pepper, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, and salt in bowl. Heat skillet over medium heat and toast pumpkin seeds until golden and beginning to pop, about 3 minutes, shaking pan often. Place sweet potato and black beans in large bowl and toss with yogurt dressing. Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds and cilantro.